Master’s Student Resources
Congratulations on your admission to graduate study at the University of Southern California Viterbi School of Engineering. The information below is intended to assist you with the transition to graduate school at USC.
First and foremost please complete the Intent to Enroll form and submit it. It is important for you to reserve your space in the entering class.
For registration dates and deadlines, click here.
Maps and Directions
To be sure you arrive here safely and can find the important locations on the University campus. For directions to USC and campus maps, click here.
If you have any specific questions, you may contact your assigned advisor, Alexis Matthews (CEE Graduate Advisor) at email@example.com or via phone at 213-740-0573.
International Student Test of English (ISE test)
****Required of all new international students unless formally waived. ***
For important information, please visit The American Language Institute. International students who have to take the International Student Test of English must do so before registering for classes. They can receive departmental advisement before taking the test.
Graduate and professional students comprise nearly half of the total student body at the University of Southern California and engage in a wide variety of academic disciplines. In welcoming you to the community of scholars and teachers at USC, we would like to invite you to participate in the university-wide Graduate Student Orientation, which will be held at the beginning of the Fall term.
Graduate Student Orientation will provide you information to help begin your graduate studies at USC. The orientation brings together a series of conference-style workshops that cover a variety of services, programs, and issues of interest to graduate students. We hope you will take advantage of this opportunity to enhance your graduate experience at USC.
Your academic unit may also hold its own orientation session to introduce you to the specifics of your department; please contact your academic advisor or academic department for more information. We look forward to meeting you and welcoming you to the Trojan Family.
Please enter the USC University Park Campus at Gate #3 (located on 35th Street off of Figueroa Street). Inform the parking attendant that you are attending the Graduate Student Orientation program to receive a parking pass for the day.
Registration is required for the Graduate Student Orientation program. Your registration and payment must be received by the Office of Orientation. You may register for the Graduate Student Orientation program by any of the following methods:
- Visit the Orientation website. You may register online and pay for your Orientation registration fee by credit card (Visa or MasterCard only).
- Print out the Orientation registration form, which is attached to this email and may also be found on the Orientation website. Mail the completed registration form to our office with a check or money order for your Orientation registration fee.
- Print out the Orientation registration form, which is attached to this email and can also be found on the Orientation website. Fax to our office a copy of the completed registration form and bring to Orientation your check or money order for your Orientation registration fee.
There is a $15 registration fee for students attending the Graduate Student Orientation. This fee covers the cost of lunch and parking for the day.
All new domestic graduate and professional students are assessed a one-time $25 mandatory Graduate Orientation Fee. All new international graduate and professional students are assessed a one-time $135 Orientation Fee. This fee will appear on your USC fee bill and is covered by financial aid. This fee is separate from our Graduate Student Orientation fee. Please do NOT send in payment for this fee with your Graduate Student Orientation registration. In addition to Graduate Student Orientation, this fee goes toward special services and programs for new students, including fall welcoming activities and university publications throughout your enrollment at USC.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Talk to the professor teaching the class to see if you can register for his class even though it is full.
- Contact Registration about a wait-list.
When registering for a class that is already full, you are not allowed to register online, ONLY at the Registration office.
If you are not a English native speaker, you need to obtain a minimum TOEFL score of 600 to qualify for a TAship. That minimum score is higher than the 580 TOEFL score, which qualifies other graduate students for ALI course exemption. Please note that having a high TOEFL score does not exempt TAs from taking the placement test and following ALI requirements for TAs.
Effective Fall 2009, all CEE students will be required to follow the steps outlined below if interested in taking Directed Research CE 490 (Undergraduate students), CE 590 (Masters students) or CE 790 (Ph.D. students).
- STEP 1 — Students get verbal approval from faculty for a directed research course
- STEP 2 — Students fill out the online form, found at: myViterbi
- STEP 3 — Faculty are automatically sent an email directing them to the admin site where they can log in and approve or deny students requests as well as view all previous semesters.
- STEP 4 — Students receive a confirmation email that their course has been approved or denied by the faculty member.
- STEP 5 — Students receive d-clearance within 1-3 business days for the course.
- STEP 6 — Student registers for the course via web registration.
Please contact the Student Affairs Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.