ABET Information- Engineering Accreditation Comission
ABET* | 111 Market Place, Suite 1050 | Baltimore, MD 21202
Visit the ABET Website
Formerly Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc.
- Provide undergraduate and graduate programs of instruction for qualified students leading to academic degrees in engineering
- Extend the frontiers of engineering knowledge by encouraging and assisting faculty in the pursuit and publication of research
- Stimulate and encourage in its students those qualities of scholarship, leadership, and character that mark the true academic and professional engineer
- Produce graduates who have an impact relative to global, societal, environmental and sustainability issues
- Produce graduates who possess strong skills in business and management, communication and team-building
- Produce graduates who pursue graduate education and life-long learning
- Serve California and the nation in providing for the continuing education of engineering and scientific personnel
- Provide professional engineering leadership in the solution of community, regional, national and global problems
Program Educational Objectives
Fulfilling the vision of the Sonny Astani Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, the Viterbi School of Engineering, and the University of Southern California, our graduates in both the BSCE and BSENE programs will:
Be successful in their professional careers, become leaders in industry, academia, government or service, while adapting their technical, collaborative and managerial skills for the benefit of Society’s built and natural environments.
Support the advancement of the practice of science and engineering, while maintaining professional standards and moral and legal obligations to society, while being active in professional organizations and obtaining professional licensure when appropriate.
Be prepared to pursue graduate studies in engineering or other disciplines, while continuously broadening their abilities and enhancing their technical skills to maintain their relevance with technological change.
Engineering programs must demonstrate that their students attain the following:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Program Criteria for Civil Engineering Programs
Lead Society: American Society of Civil Engineers
Curriculum Objectives: The program must demonstrate that graduates have:
- Knowledge of mathematics through differential equations, calculus-based physics, chemistry, and at least one additional area of basic science; apply probability and statistics to address uncertainty.
- The ability to analyze and solve problems in at least four technical areas appropriate to civil engineering.
- The ability to conduct experiments in at least two technical areas of civil engineering and analyze and interpret the resulting data.
- The ablity to design a system, component, or process in at least two civil engineering contexts; include principles of sustainability in design.
- The ability to explain basic concepts in project management, business, public policy, and leadership.
- The ability to analyze issues in professional ethics; and explain the importance of professional licensure.
Enrollment and Graduation
Data for Bachelor's Degree Program
USC Departmant of Civil and Environmental Engineering ABET Accredited Bachelor of Science program in:
Total Program Enrollment (All Continuing Undergraduates) in the 2020-2021 Academic Year:
Number of Students Graduating from this Program during the 2020-2021 Academic Year