University of Southern California, Viterbi School of Engineering: (Open Rank) Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
The Sonny Astani Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (http://cee.usc.edu) in the USC Viterbi School of Engineering is searching for outstanding faculty candidates in all areas of environmental engineering. Applications and nominations for tenure-track or tenured faculty positions at all levels are sought. The USC Viterbi School of Engineering is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and welcomes applications from women, individuals from racial/ethnic populations demographically underrepresented in engineering, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
We expect all candidates to have a strong commitment to research, doctoral student mentoring, and teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Applicants should have a doctorate in environmental engineering or a related field of study, and those applying for Associate Professor or Professor ranks must have a well-established and accomplished academic record. The intellectual depth, innovation, and promise of the candidate are of higher priority than their specific research area.
The position is available starting August 16, 2022. To receive full consideration, candidates should apply on-line at: https://usccareers.usc.edu/search-jobs. Application materials must include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of research interests (1 page), statement of teaching interests (1 page), succinct statement on fostering an environment of diversity and inclusion and contact information for five references. To receive full consideration, all materials should be received by November 30, 2021; applications received after this deadline might not be considered. All application materials will be held in the strictest confidence. For more information, interested individuals are welcome to contact Prof. Amy Childress, Sonny Astani Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Southern California, 3620 South Vermont Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90089-2531 (email: email@example.com).
The Astani Department has 26 tenured/tenure track faculty members, including four chaired professorships, nine current or former Young Investigator and Early Career awardees, and many fellows of professional organizations. The Department recently renovated the environmental engineering laboratories with a multimillion-dollar investment from the USC Viterbi School, including new equipment and renovated space to support cutting-edge research.
In November 2007, the Department was the beneficiary of a $17 million pledge from Sonny Astani, the largest ever bestowed on a department of civil and environmental engineering at that time. The USC Viterbi School (http://viterbi.usc.edu) is among the top engineering schools in the world. It counts 189 full-time, tenure-track faculty members, and it is home to the Information Sciences Institute, two National Science Foundation Engineering Research Centers, a Department of Energy EFRC (Energy Frontiers Research Center), and the Department of Homeland Security’s first University Center of Excellence, CREATE. The School is affiliated with the Alfred E. Mann Institute for Biomedical Engineering, the Institute for Creative Technologies, and the USC Stevens Center for Innovation. Research expenditures typically exceed $210 million annually.
The USC Viterbi School of Engineering is committed to enabling the success of dual career families and fosters a family-friendly environment.USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance.
University of Louisville: Tenure-track Assistant Professor Position in Civil and Environmental Engineering
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) at University of Louisville invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position effective August 2021. The department has dual ABET accreditation in BS and MEng programs of Civil Engineering. In addition it also has M.S. and Ph.D. programs. This position is expected to be filled at the rank of assistant professor in the water resources area. A Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering is required. Professional Engineering licensure (PE) or plans to pursue PE registration is expected.
This position is encouraged to interact with our existing Stream Institute (SI) and the Center for Infrastructure Research (CIR). The Stream Institute is a well-established research collaborative center that focuses on stream and wetlands restoration. Developed over the past 25 years, the SI has an extensive database and project history throughout Kentucky and adjacent states. The Center for Infrastructure Research focuses on urban infrastructure challenges. The CIR has conducted many stormwater, water, and power based projects, primarily within the Louisville Metro area. For detailed information on these two institutes, see:
To promote their research programs, successful candidates are strongly encouraged to leverage infrastructure and technical support available at these centers as well as other centers housed in the Speed School of Engineering.
Application reviews will begin on April 26, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
- a cover letter
- contact information for three professional references
- a candidate statement discussing teaching, research, and professional goals
- a current CV
Application link: http://louisville.edu/hr/employment/jobs/currentopenings
Iowa State University (ISU) College of Engr.
ENGR 160 Assistant/Associate/Full Teaching or Professor of Practice
The College of Engineering at Iowa State University (ISU) in collaboration with the Departments of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering (ABE); Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering (CCEE); and Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECpE), seeks candidates for three full-time term faculty positions at the ranks of Assistant, Associate, or Full Teaching Professor, or Professor of Practice. The primary responsibility for these positions is to teach ISU’s core engineering problem solving/programming course for undeclared engineering majors (ENGR 160, Introduction to Engineering Problem Solving and Computer Applications). Secondary responsibilities for each position are to teach engineering courses that support one of the above department’s undergraduate programs.
The successful candidate is an enthusiastic, inspiring, and patient educator who is able to appropriately combine traditional and innovative pedagogical approaches, such as online, project-based, active, and asynchronous learning, to meet the college-approved course learning objectives for ENGR 160. Candidates should foster excitement for the engineering profession and have the broad view needed to teach students who may decide to enter any of ISU’s engineering degree programs. An ability to teach and mentor a broad range of students as they adjust to the expectations of an engineering degree program, are critical to successful candidates. Candidates who qualify for higher faculty rank will be given the charge to coordinate the ENGR 160 instructional team. The position is a unique opportunity to have a College-wide educational impact and inspire the next generation of engineers.
Candidates should have strong teaching skills, and excellent written and verbal communication skills. They should also be able to work collaboratively on teams, and have experience that aligns with the curriculum of at least one of the three host departments listed above. Furthermore, candidates should share our commitment to enhancing excellence through diversity and inclusion, and exhibit the potential for long-term leadership in supporting the mission of the host department, College, and University.
This 9-month position is for a 3-year term with the potential for renewal. There may be opportunities for the candidate to supplement the 9-month salary with additional teaching in the summer semester or with research funding. Term Faculty hold limited-term, full, or part-time renewable appointments that are not eligible for tenure, but have the potential to be reviewed for advancement into senior ranks.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
To qualify for the Assistant Teaching Professor rank:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related discipline and 5 years of relevant work experience
- Master’s degree in engineering or related discipline and 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Doctoral degree in engineering or related discipline
To qualify for the Associate Teaching Professor rank:
- Record of teaching experience. AND one of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related discipline and 10 years of relevant work experience.
- Master’s degree in engineering or related discipline and 8 years of relevant work experience.
- Doctoral degree in engineering or related discipline and 5 years of relevant work experience
To qualify for the Full Teaching Professor rank:
- Record of teaching experience AND one of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related discipline and 15 years of relevant work experience.
- Master’s degree in engineering or related discipline and 13 years of relevant work experience.
- Doctoral degree in engineering or related discipline and 10 years of relevant work experience.
To qualify for the Professor of Practice level:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related discipline, AND:
- Evidence of impactful career in professional practice outside of traditional academic roles, as defined by departmental criteria, that qualifies them to provide faculty and students with an understanding of the contemporary practice in a particular field of study.
- Teaching experience in ABET-accredited engineering programs that exceeds the minimum requirements
- Experience using programming to address engineering-relevant problems
- Experience working on a skilled collaborative team to meet a common goal
- Teaching and/or industrial experience that aligns with the curriculum of one or more of the three host departments (ABE, CCEE, ECpE)
- Experience with problem-based and/or engineering design instruction
- A demonstrated focus on promoting diversity and inclusion in previous roles
- Relevant industrial experience that exceeds minimum requirements
- Availability to start teaching in the Fall 2021 semester
Post Doctoral Research Associate
The Astani Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at University of Southern California seeks an energetic and innovative postdoctoral researcher with interest in experimental and numerical methods to work on a project funded by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission on non-destructive evaluation of spent nuclear fuel storage canisters. All applicants must be United States citizens or a noncitizen national of the United States or have been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence (i.e., in possession of a currently valid Alien Registration Receipt Card I-551, or other legal verification of such status).
Particularly, prior research experience in one or more of the following areas is desired: (1) structural dynamics, (2) advanced finite element modeling and analysis, (3) instrumentation for experimental data collection, (4) sensors, (5) computational and data sciences, (6) non-destructive evaluation methods, (7) vibration analysis, (8) uncertainty quantification and probabilistic methods, and (9) spent nuclear transportation and storage.
Candidates should have a recent Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science or a related discipline. It is preferred that the applicant has experience in using servo-hydraulic material and structural testing systems, and a strong publication record. The post-doctoral scholar is expected to engage in and help with undergraduate/graduate student mentoring, research proposal writing, and laboratory organization and testing. Only individuals who have a strong desire to pursue an academic career are encouraged apply.
The duration of the position is expected to be one year and may be renewable based on performance and availability of funding. The salary will be commensurate with the prior research experience of the applicant.
The desired start date is March 1, 2021. Applications will be processed as they arrive until the position is closed.
Individuals interested in applying should submit by email (a) CV, (b) a brief (~2 paragraph) summary of research interests, (c) two recent publications, and (d) a list of three references, to Professor Bora Gencturk, firstname.lastname@example.org.
A comprehensive benefits package will be included. https://postdocs.usc.edu/postdoc-resources/benefits-and-privileges/
The University of Southern California strongly values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment. Women, men, and members of all racial and ethnic groups are encouraged to apply.
AVSAR Construction - Project Engineer/ Estimator
We are seeking a Construction Project Engineer to join our team! You will oversee project planning, scheduling, budgeting, and implementation.
- Oversee all aspects of the construction project from planning to implementation
- Allocate resources for assigned projects
- Supervise onsite personnel and subcontractors
- Interface with project inspectors, contractors, architects, engineers, city and county officials, and clients
- Negotiate with contractors to receive reasonable order costs
- Maintain high standards of workmanship that adhere to original plans and specifications
- Attend to the bid walks
- Prepare, review, and evaluate cost estimates
- Communicate with trade partners and team members regarding new and current projects
- Prepare estimates and purchase orders in detail for all products
- Ensure timely completion of estimates
- Understand the scope of work to bid
- Manage bid pricing from all vendors
- Prepare cost analysis
- Establish and maintain working relationships with vendors and subcontractors
- Project Engineer's Duties on Construction Starts
- Previous experience in construction management or other related fields
- Experience in construction estimating
- Familiarity with construction management software
- Strong leadership qualities
- Strong negotiation skills
- Deadline and detail-oriented
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Applied Science, Civil Engineering or related field
- Able to read architectural plans and develop cost estimates
- Strong understanding of construction processes
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel
- Able to multi-task and meet strict deadlines
- Impeccable problem-solving skills
To apply, please contact Baris Avsar, CCM, AVSAR Construction Development at email@example.com.
Current Student Opportunities
CAD Support for USC Facility Planning & Management
USC, Facilities Planning and Management, department is responsible for updating the CAD plans, GIS maps, BIM models and archiving the O&M project close-out documentation for all USC owned and some leased buildings. We update this databases using AutoCAD for plans. We use AutoCAD Map and ArcMap for our maps. We use Revit and Navisworks for our models. Finally, we use various databases and a program called InnoCielo Meridian for our document management work. Responsibilities for all the students will start doing data entry of project close-out documents, move on to CAD work and finally work in Revit or GIS of existing buildings and the campuses. They will use site measurements , photos, construction documentation, and existing CAD files. They will creating families, establishing Revit standards, and field verifying Revit models to reflect as-built conditions. Some may have the opportunity to do preliminary sketches for construction projects. All students will begin getting familiarized with project close-out documents.
Send resume or questions to: J.firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete application: https://facilities.usc.edu/secure/hr/student/app_studentworker.asp
Published on October 23rd, 2017
Last updated on October 26th, 2021