Environmental Engineering at USC
Why Choose the Sonny Astani Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering?
The Environmental Engineering program in the Sonny Astani Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at USC comprises a unique team of faculty members who work collaboratively in research areas highly relevant to the dynamic field of environmental engineering.
Our faculty addresses water, air, and energy challenges that face urban and natural environments. Our unique undergraduate and graduate programs lead to BS, MS, and PhD degrees in engineering.
We have built new laboratories and designed a new curriculum; our world-class program of integrated research and education is rapidly evolving.
We seek to develop students into engineers who can solve community, regional, and national challenges.
Our faculty collaborate closely with industrial and utility partners in Southern California, across the nation, and around the world.
Water Quality and Processes
One of the great challenges facing the world now is providing an adequate supply of potable water, considering population growth and climate variability.
- Provide safe and reliable drinking water by engineering treatments technologies and infrastructure
- Regulate and maintain industrial and municipal waste waters
- Control and monitor water pollution while maintaining natural ecosystems
Atmosphere & Air Quality
Climate change and urban air pollution are two of society’s great challenges.
- Modeling and understanding pollution and its sources.
- Monitoring emissions and compliance with applicable regulations.
- Designing and implementing quality improvement solutions.