Zhiheng Wang Wins 2022 Probabilistic Methods Committee’s Best Student Paper Award

CEE Post-Doc Zhiheng Wang (right) Receives the Best Student Paper Award at the 2022 Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference. Pictured with Professor Roger Ghanem. PHOTO/ZHIHENG WANG.

USC Viterbi post-doc Zhiheng Wang has won first place in the 2022 Probabilistic Methods Committee Student Paper Competition by the Engineering Mechanics Institute (EMI) of ASCE. The award was presented at the 2022 EMI Conference in Baltimore, Maryland in early June.

Wang, honored for his paper “A Polynomial Chaos Formalism for Sensitivity and Reliability Analysis,” also gave a presentation showcasing his groundbreaking research. He proposes a robust and efficient framework that can quantitatively assess various sources of uncertainty and guide resource allocation.

Wang’s research focuses on developing novel uncertainty quantification methods for complex systems in engineering and science. He received his PhD from the Sonny Astani Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering in May 2022. Prior to USC, he obtained a MS in civil engineering from Columbia University and a BE in wood structural engineering from Nanjing Forestry University, and subsequently worked as a research associate at Tongji University.

Said Wang, “I would like to express my gratitude to my advisor Professor [Roger] Ghanem for his guidance and importantly, his great influence on my way of thinking. This award definitely also belongs to him! I really appreciate the CEE department for providing numerous sources of support to us students. I am so honored to be a member of this fantastic family.”

Published on June 17th, 2022

Last updated on June 20th, 2022

Share this Post