Professor of Engineering Practice
Dr. Gregg Brandow
University of Southern California
Sonny Astani Department of
Civil and Environmental Engineering
3620 S. Vermont Avenue, KAP 268B
Los Angeles, CA 90089-2531
Tel: (213) 740-1040
Fax: (213) 744-1426
- Earthquake Engineering
- Performance-Based Design
- Failure Analysis
- Forensic Engineering
|University of Southern California
Dr. Brandow has been a practicing licensed Professional Engineer and Structural Engineer since the early 1970s. He is a specialist in structural design and earthquake engineering, with additional expertise in the standard of care for practicing structural engineers.
His teaching and research interests focus on the design of wood structures, the understanding and performance of structural systems, earthquake engineering, and failure analysis.
In his professional career as President of Brandow & Johnston, Dr. Brandow has been responsible for the design of high-rise buildings such as the 550 South Hope Office Tower in Los Angeles, hospitals such as the Kaiser Baldwin Park Medical Center, school buildings for the Los Angeles Unified School District, and a variety of other structures such as industrial buildings, and parking structures.
Dr. Brandow’s technical expertise and practical design experience has allowed him to oversee the challenging structural designs and seismic retrofit projects that have become the hallmark of the firm’s reputation. Projects vary from the highly-efficient, developer-driven, commercial buildings, to the highly-complex, and analytically-intensive projects such as the flight simulation test frames for the Space Shuttle and B-1 Bombers.
With Dr. Brandow's earthquake reconnaissance experience, structural dynamics background, and structural design expertise, Brandow & Johnston has become the lead firm in the evaluation and seismic retrofit of many public and private buildings. Notable seismic retrofits in the local area have included the strengthening of Bovard Administration Building at USC, the base-isolation of Kerckhoff Hall at UCLA, the viscous damper retrofit of the Administration Building at CSULA, and the strengthening of the March Air Force Base Hospital.
Professional Service and Court Expertise
- Engineering peer reviews projects for owners
- Structural engineering expert on forensic studies for construction litigation cases in the areas of structural design and the standard of care for practicing structural engineers.
- Advocate for structural engineering licensure standards across the country.
Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors for the State of California, 1998 to 2010
- Structural Engineering Member of the Board
- Active Member, National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying
- Treasurer, 2004 to 2007
- Chair, Structural Engineering Examination/Recognition Task Force
CSU Seismic Review Board
- Member of the Board that oversees the seismic aspect of all CSU campus projects statewide.
C.E. State of California
S.E. State of California
P.E. State of Arizona
P.E. State of Colorado
P.E. State of Connecticut
P.E. District of Columbia
P.E. State of Florida
P.E. State of Hawaii
P.E. State of Idaho
P.E. State of Massachusetts
P.E. State of Utah
P.E. State of Nevada
P.E. State of New Jersey
P.E. State of New Mexico
P.E. State of New York
P.E. State of Oklahoma
P.E. State of Oregon
P.E. State of Texas
P.E. State of Washington
- Structural Engineers Association of Southern California
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Consulting Engineers and Land Surveyors Association of California
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute
- American Institute of Timber Construction
- The Masonry Society
- Rotary International
- Seismological Society of America
- John A. Blume Earthquake Engineering Center Affiliate, Stanford University
- Architectural Guild, David M. Wilson Associates, USC
- Board of Councilors, School of Engineering, USC
- Member, Board for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
- Los Angeles Area Council, Boy Scouts of America - Board of Directors
Seismic Investigation and Research Activities
- Member of EERI Reconnaissance Team investigating the 1976 Guatemala Earthquake.
- Coordinator EERI Reconnaissance Team investigating the 1979 Imperial County, California, Earthquake
- Member of Reconnaissance Team for the Central Greece Earthquakes of February - March 1981 sponsored by the Committee on Natural Disasters of the National Research Council and EERI
- Member of EERI Chile Workshop Team for Review of Chilean Earthquake of March 3, 1985 and Chilean Seismic Design Practice
- Member of Research Group on NSF Project ECE-8610946 "Repairing and Strengthening Damaged Reinforced Concrete Buildings" (Joint U.S. - Mexican Effort focusing on buildings damaged in Mexico City in the September 1985 Mexico Earthquake)
- Member of Project Engineering Panel, ATC-19 Project, "Evaluation of Performance Based Structural Response Modification Factors (R-Factors)"
- Member of the Seismic Review Board, California State University System
- Navid Nastar, James Anderson, Gregg Brandow, Robert Nigbor, "An Analysis of Low-Cycle Fatigue in Steel Moment Frames", NASCC Structures Congress, 2010.
- Hart, G. C., Brandow, G., Ekwueme, C.G., Simsir, C., Ozegbe, K., Barnes, M.S., "High Performance/Smart and Living Buildings: The Benefits of Using Viscous Dampers On A High-Rise Building (Part I)", The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, Wiley, Special Issue, 2010.
- Gregg E. Brandow, "Computer Programs for Statics and Dynamics of Tier Buildings" Technical Report No. 129 Department of Civil Engineering Stanford University (Engineer's Thesis).
- Gregg E. Brandow, "Soil-Foundation-Structural Interaction During Earthquake Excitations" Technical Report No. 145 Department of Civil Engineering Stanford University (Ph.D. Dissertations).
- W. Weaver, Jr., Gregg E. Brandow and Thomas A. Manning, Jr., "Tier Buildings with Shear Cores, Bracing and Setbacks" Computers & Structures, Vol. 1, pp. 57-83, Pergamon Press, 1971.
- Stanley Lucks, John T. Christian, Gregg E. Brandow and Kaare Hoeg "Stress Conditions in NGI Simple Shear Test" Technical Note ASCE Journal of the Soil Mechanics and Foundations Division, Vol. 98, No. SMI, pp. 155-160, January 1972.
- William Weaver, Jr., Gregg E. Brandow and Kaare Hoeg "Three-Dimensional Soil-Structure Response to Earthquakes" Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 63, No. 3, June 1973.
- Gregg E. Brandow, "An Overview of the State-of-the-Practice of the Usage of Computer Programs" Proceedings of a Workshop on Earthquake-Resistant Reinforced Concrete Building Construction, Vol. II, pp. 960-968, June 1978.
- Gregg E. Brandow, "Application of Geotechnical Parameters" Proceedings 46th Annual Convention Structural Engineers Association of California, October 6, 7 and 8, 1977.
- Panayotis G. Carydis, Norman R. Tilford, Gregg E. Brandow, and James O. Jirsa, The Gulf of Corinth Earthquakes of February - March, 1981, A Reconnaissance and Engineering Report National Academy Press, 1982.
- S.G. Provenghi and G.E. Brandow, “Evaluation, Repair and Reinforcement of an Ultra-Thin, Two-Way Flat Slab with Drop Panels,” Proceedings ACI International Conference, Hong Kong, 1991.
- Gregg E. Brandow, Gary C. Hart, “Seismic Strengthening of a Historical Concrete Frame with Brick Infills Using Base Isolation” The Third National Concrete and Masonry Engineering Conference, San Francisco, June 15 - 17, 1995.
- Gregg E. Brandow, “Stamping and Signing Documents Prepared by Others”, Annual Report, California Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, May 1996.
- Dr. Rami M. Elhassan, SE, Dr. Gregg E. Brandow, SE, et al, “The Design and Analysis of a Seismic Retrofit of a Tall Concrete Building Using Supplemental Viscous Damper”, The Passive Energy Dissipation System Symposium, Los Angeles County, July 19, 1996.
- Gregg E. Brandow, “Building Evaluation Reports”, Bulletin, California Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, No. 22, Fall 1997.
- Gregg E. Brandow, “Signing and Stamping Engineering Documents”, Bulletin of Board News and Enforcement Actions, California Board for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, Spring 2001.
- Hart, G.C., Brandow, G. and Johnston, R., “Seismic Rehabilitation of a Base Isolated Building Using Viscous Dampers”, The Structural Design of Tall Buildings, Wiley, Special Issue, 2001.
- Gregg E. Brandow, PhD, S.E., “Task Force Supports Model Law for Structural Engineers”, Licensure Exchange, NCEES, April 2002.
- Gregg Brandow and Peter Maranian, “Cracked Column Flanges in Steel Moment Frame Buildings: Considerations for Their Repair Including Report on Tests on Volumetric Weld Repairs,” Vol. 14, No. 1 Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, January/February 2002.
- Brandow, GE & Maranian, PJ, “Repair of Damaged Existing Welded Steel Moment Frame Buildings Including Weld Overlay Techniques,” Conference on Structural Faults + Repairs, London, England, 4th - 6th July 2001.